Friday, June 06, 2008

Revit '09 --> Max '09 FBX whitepaper

Autodesk has posted a whitepaper that details the workflow from Revit to Max when using the new FBX format. Given the FBX format's ability to carry a great deal of the Revit meta data and materials information, I would not be suprised if Autodesk continues to expand and develop the use of this format with regards to Revit. I think that what we can in the '09 products is a great first step, but I hope there is more to come.

design visulization white papers: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=10155245

2 comments:

Unknown said...

.fbx has been around for a while and has a lot of promise as an exchange format that can carry mesh objects, their materials, and their animation. Its probably a major reason ADSK bought Alias.

But...

I've had problems: Importing a Revit 2009 .fbx into Max2008 with the FBX 2009.1 plug-in installed yileds the error "Cannot read that version."

I'm hopeful this will be worked out because the promise is so great.

Robert said...

Karl,

To my knowledge (and in our testing) FBX from Revit worked fine with 3D Studio 2009. It is my understanding that the Revit FBX was not intended to be compatible with 3DS '08. Since I'm not really a 3DS user I can't swear to that. There were some material scaling issues at one point with the Revit FBX export, but I believe those were resolved.